Back on the horse! After watching too much Spartacus on the weekend, I decided I’d be making a roguelike after a favourite topic: Gladiators and ancient Rome. I’ll be updating it here for the next few days (I’ll even have a few alphas up to test).
The code will be half made from scratch, half recycled old roguelike code from previous endeavours. I’ll be using Unity, although I’m not going 3D this year – the plan is to use Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup tiles to get it done. Going to keep it simple this year, not too much in the way of endless dungeons – I’ll be keeping set arenas so there won’t be as much procedural content (yet).
This is potentially part of a bigger project – more on this later.
The plan was something simple – self managing villages, armies raised and controlled via waypoints, different types of playstlyes based on the starting race. This is just a technology/competency test, 2 days in. Testing some basic RTS commands for an island battle / village building game. Pathfinding, swarming, A*, dynamic landscape grid determination, harvesting waypoints automatically assigned are in. Webplayer is here.
So I got all the mechanics done. Just filling out the content in 7 days felt impossible. It’s still very playable but the story putters out towards the end and there could be a few more items/skills/weapons. The foundations are all in place so I may just fill it in when I get the chance anyway.
Play it here anyways, it’s still fun.
Started doing the 7drl challenge for a bit of fun.
Click here for all the exciting alpha versions!